The Friends of Music at Yale principally support undergraduate musical activities at Yale. Our mission is to further, at Yale University, learning in the art of music in all its forms and aspects, and to that end to solicit and encourage contributions of money and other gifts to support special music-related collections and faculty-directed undergraduate organizations whose sources of funds are not sufficient to accomplish their goals. We wish to further in every possible way the growth of musical culture in the undergraduate life of Yale College and in the community.
What’s happening this year?
- We’re continuing our annual FOM Undergraduate Recital Competition, which is organized by Music Department faculty.
- We’re funding Yale College New Music, a campus organization that hosts an annual concert series in the Beinecke Library, presenting premieres of Yale College composers’ new works by visiting professional ensembles.
- We’re supporting Professors Wendy Sharp and Richard Lalli, whose students give us annual chamber music and vocal arts concerts highlighting their wonderful achievements.
- We’re sponsoring an array of professional guest speakers and performing artists who visit Yale College at the invitation of our music faculty to enhance their students’ on-campus musical experiences.
- We provide the Beekman Cannon Friends of Music Prize, which is awarded to the undergraduate student who has completed an outstanding senior essay on a musical subject or a musical composition exhibiting unusual originality and promise.
- We’re supporting private music lessons for students with funds from the Cynthia W. Dixon Memorial Fund.